Saturday, August 25, 2012

Luke 2:52

Luke 2:52 is a line of scripture that I have always loved, but now as a mother I feel I am learning to fully understand what it means.  It reads, "and Mary stored these things up in her heart" (Luke 2:52).  One of the reasons I have loved this verse is because it seems so poetic for the author to have included it.  I mean did we really need to know that Mary held on to these special memories of her son to understand the Gospel.  I think probably not, but because the author included these words I think all us mothers (and fathers) can better understand what Mary was experiencing and relate to her.  And I have always believed that relationships are at the heart of sharing the Gospel. 

Now as a mom of a son who does not yet have the capabilities of long-term memories, I am realizing that I am storing up memories in my heart that I will treasure and one day share with Anderson even though he can't remember them for himself.  

So on Friday, in the midst of going some place (I am not really sure now where we were going), Anderson and I experienced one of those moments worth storing up in my heart.  We were walking to the car, and I had scooped Anderson up into my arms.  To get to the car we had to pass our enormous lantana bush.  As we passed the lantana I noticed a swallowtail butterfly right at eye level.  Despite being in a hurry, I stopped and pointed out the butterfly to Anderson.  Because it was so close and at the right level he was able to see the butterfly very easily.  And as most toddlers are quick to do with most things in their lives, he reached out to touch it.  Now it has been my experience that touching a butterfly is like catching a falling leaf.  It seems simpler than it actually is. But to my surprise, he was able to touch it- not with a rough, wild grasp (as he is known to often do) but with a gentle stroke of its wing.  The butterfly was so engrossed in drinking from the lantana flowers that it hardly seemed to pay Anderson any attention.  So we stayed close as it flitted from one clump of flowers to the next.  And Anderson was able to pet the butterfly multiple times.  I found the whole experience so surprising that I actually said aloud to Anderson, "You won't remember this, but this is a very unique and special experience."

Later that day, I told Andy about what had happened, and he asked if I had gotten a picture of it.  I told him know.  It all happened so fast and spontaneously that it would have been hard for me to photograph the moment, but also I think that if I had put Anderson down, tried to find a camera and frame the shot just right, the moment would have vanished. So I am glad I just stayed in the moment with my son.  The butterfly whisperer.  Instead of a photo, I have a visual picture that is now forever stored in my heart. 

Photo taken last week of a different butterfly.  We have had so many to watch this summer.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome memory! Yep sometimes we just have to store memories in our hearts and minds. Too bad our eyeballs aren't video cameras! :)

    ReplyDelete