Tuesday, June 16, 2009

1st Day...4 States

As Kate and I were sitting down to eat dinner at a restaurant overlooking the Ohio River, it finally hit me that we were taking a once in a lifetime trip. I got a little giddy just thinking about it. I think I've spent the past months focusing so much on preparing for the trip and having the right equipment that I didn't take the time to stop and be in awe of what we were blessed enough to be able to do. How many time in your life will you be free enough to go on a trip like this?

Our trip started at 8:30am as we said goodbye to 82 Eastcliff Dr. and headed toward Knoxville, TN. That leg of the trip reminded me of how much I love living in NC. The Appalachian Mountains are so beautiful and drvie through them was incredibly scenic. I know we're headed for the Rockies, but the Appalachians will always be my favorite.

During our drive through Kentucky, which is a very beautiful state by the way, we saw the quintessential KY site. There were 10-12 horses silouetted against a blue sky in a scene that should have been on a post card. It turned out to be a thouroughbred retirement farm, which was pretty cool.

We pulled into our KOA campground in Clarksville, IN around 6:00pm and checked into our little cabin (see below). It made me think of the cabins people used to live in on teh frontier, minus the electricity and AC of course. We found out quickly that our little cabin was under the last train to Clarksville.

Being famished, we went to a restaurant called Buckhead Mountain Grill on the Ohio River, which was just across the river from Louisville in Jefferson, IN. We sat outside and had some good food and a great view. I had Montana Meatloaf and sweet tea. (I realized I was out of the South when I took a drink of their "sweet tea". Where's Granny Linker when I need her?) We met a nice local couple that took a picture for us. The gentleman was a Michigan Wolverine fan and instantly recognized my ASU hat. Go Apps!


The KOA connection was very slow so I had to wait until tonight to post. Sorry it's late. Tuesday's stop: Lawrence, KS.


~Andy

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Happy trails...until we see you again. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete